Sunday, August 5, 2012

Shalom.

I have no idea how to introduce myself. Trying to encapsulate who I am in words always seems as slippery as the thoughts that inevitably flee the moment someone asks what I am thinking. I can tell you that I am an Orthodox Jew, by choice, not by birth. The story of my conversion is a long and winding one, and rather than tell it from the beginning to the end, I will touch on it here and there, so I'm afraid this blog is going to end up like one of those non-chronological movies that my father hates with a passion. Above all, this blog is my love letter to Judaism, a religion that freed me from my persona, brought me home to my truest self, and most importantly, gave me what I had been craving for years: a close relationship with G-d. For so long, I went through a cycle of ignoring anything remotely spiritual, living according to my own whims, only to burn out and desperately seek some meaning in life. I could never bring myself to attend Mass, but I would sit in an empty Cathedral and try to talk to a deity that always seemed out of reach. I would make lists of how to be a good daughter, a good sister, a good friend. Looking back, I realize they were my own sort of mitzvot; a part of me realized that G-d really is in the details, and the sacred can be reached in the boundaries we set for ourselves.

I have been blessed with the most incredibly supportive family and friends, and with a group of Jewish friends that is continually growing. They inspired me to begin writing about my experiences, partly because I realize that people are fascinated by my decision, but also because although they patiently listen, I'm sure they will be happy that I have an outlet for this. There are two things that I am proudest of in my conversion: First, that I held my ground and converted in the right way for me, and secondly, that I have managed to maintain close relationships with my non-Jew crew and with Jews of all backgrounds and observance levels. With that in mind, I hope that anyone and everyone feels comfortable visiting and interacting on this page.

Challah at your girl -

cbg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating. Please show respect to your fellow commenters, and be cognizant of representing the Jewish people well.